Skip to main content

Are you thinking about relocating to Portugal? Well, you’re in luck! Portugal has a visa for almost everyone. Whether you’re a student, a CEO, a freelancer, or a retiree, Portugal has a visa tailored to your needs. But how do you know which one is the right fit for you?

In this article, we’ll take a look at the most popular Portuguese visas and help you decide which one best suits your needs.

Portugal’s visa system – A quick overview

Portugal’s visa system is known for being flexible and accommodating, offering a range of options for individuals looking to relocate to the country. Whether you’re a student, business owner, freelancer, or retiree, Portugal has a visa tailored to your specific needs and circumstances.

One of the most popular visas in Portugal was the Golden Visa program, which offered residency to non-EU citizens who make a significant investment in the country. However, the rules for this visa have dramatically changed; so we advise expats to consider other options instead.

For students, there are a variety of study visas that enabling you to pursue higher education in Portugal. These visas are valid for the duration of the study program and can be extended if necessary. Portugal has a number of excellent universities and colleges, making it an attractive destination for students from around the world.

Business owners and entrepreneurs can take advantage of the Entrepreneur Visa, which encourages foreign investment and the creation of innovative startups in Portugal. This visa offers residency and a range of benefits, including access to venture capital and support services for business development.

Retirees looking to enjoy their golden years in Portugal can apply for the D7 Visa. This visa is designed for individuals who receive passive income; without the need to work. It offers a pathway to residency and allows retirees to enjoy the country’s mild climate, beautiful scenery, and high quality of life.

Visas for students

Student visa options:

The D4 visa is for students who are up to the age of 16. These are students in primary, junior, and secondary school. For students over 16 years old, the D5 visa is for students attending university in Portugal.

It is important to note that for both of these visas there are some very specific requirements. For example, students must show that they have been accepted to a school, college or university on their visa application. This means you cannot apply for a visa without first having been accepted into a school. Also, students must have proof of funding. This should be shown either in the form of a scholarship, or a tuition fee.

Another important detail of the D5 visa, is that when working, you will not be allowed to work over 20 hours a week. Working more than this can put you in breach of your visa and it may not be renewed.

The other option for a student moving to Portugal is the D6 family reunification visa. However, this visa can only be obtained by moving to Portugal with someone who is gaining residency or already has residency. For example, as a family moving to Portugal, usually one of the parents would gain residency via either a full visa, or a CRUE, and the spouse and dependants of that person would move on the D6 visa.

Visas for business owners

As a business owner in Portugal, you have a few options:

These visas all have a different purpose and one may be better for you than another. Firstly, the D2 visa is for business startups. If you have a business currently then it is possible to open a branch of that business to apply for the D2 visa. Alternatively, you could open a completely new business to be eligible for this visa.

Next, the D3 visa for high skilled employees. If you are the owner of a company working within the high skill industry, as listed by Portugals authorities, then this would be suitable for you. These are professions such as tech, engineers, and doctors. To move on this visa, you would apply as a high skilled worker, and then establish a business once you are in the country and setup.

Finally, if you are a business owner who is moving to Portugal and doesn’t want to open a business there, the D7 visa is for you. the D7 visa is also known as the passive income visa, and is for people who, you guessed it, earn a passive income. This works for business owners who take dividends from their businesses.

There are also some added bonuses to this if you apply for the NHR programme.

Visas for retirees

For retirees, there are two options:

As discussed in the previous paragraph, the D7 Visa is ideal for individuals who earn passive income. This visa is designed to attract retirees from around the world. To be eligible, you must earn at least €780 per month in passive income (pensions are considered passive income).

The alternative is the D6 family reunification visa. As stated before this can be applied for if you’re relocating abroad with someone who already has residency in Portugal.

Visas for freelancers

For freelancers in Portugal, you’ll be moving on the most popular visa; the D8 or digital nomad visa.

This visa is for people who are moving to Portugal and want to work remotely as a freelancer; for customers anywhere in the world. The digital nomad movement is gaining momentum in Europe at such a rapid pace because it offers everything. The opportunity to work doing what you love, on your own timetable, from some of the most beautiful countries in the world!

The requirements for the digital nomad visa are that you earn at least €3040 per month from your freelancing. It is also important that you can prove that you have been earning this for at least 3 months. As well as this, you should also have around €9000 in savings that can be transferred into a Portuguese bank account.

Visa requirements

Some of the requirements for these visas are all similar. For example, for all of these visas, the applicant must be able to show that they have 12 months of accommodation. This can be either, in the form of a rental agreement (minimum 12 months) or the purchase of a property. It is important to remember that Airbnb’s will not be enough to be eligible for the visa.

On all of the visas mentioned above, you will have to spend a minimum of 183 days in Portugal. Remember, these days do not all have to be together and can be spread across the year. As long as there are a minimum of 183 days spent in Portugal in a year then your visa will be eligible to be renewed.

If you wish to gain a Portuguese passport at the end of it all, you can apply after 5 years of living in the country; under a visa.

Speak to an expert

In conclusion, Portugal offers a wide range of visas tailored to different needs and circumstances. Whether you’re a student, a business owner, a retiree, or a freelancer, there is a visa for you.

It’s important to carefully consider the specific criteria and requirements for each visa. This will help you to ensure you choose the one that best fits your situation. Start by scheduling a free, initial consultation with our team!

Leave a Reply