Skip to main content

Visas can be one of the most confusing aspects of planning your relocation, especially if you have never done it before. Which visa do you need? How much will it cost? What documents do you need to fill out? The answers to these questions are different depending on your situation, and choosing the right visa can make all the difference in your visit to the border!

This guide will walk you through each type of visa, explain when you should use them, and offer helpful advice based on real life examples from past clients.


D2 Visa

Are you wanting to open a business in Portugal? Well the D2 visa may be the best option for you! This Visa allows you to become a resident in Portugal and also open a business or a branch of a business there. This Visa is great for entrepreneurs as well as people in the tech department, as they show potential to hire Portuguese citizens and add value to the Portuguese economy. On this Visa you also only have to be in Portugal for 6 months of the year, so leaves you relatively free.


D3 Visa

The D3 Visa is also known as the high skill visa. This is because it requires you to bring a skill or employment of high grade to the country. These could be things such as masters degrees or PhD’s in certain subjects or even jobs in tech which require a lot of expertise. This visa is a good choice if you fall into the high skilled work category.


Student Visa

To qualify for a student Visa, you must be over the age of 16 and also have been accepted into a school in Portugal. As well as this you must prove that you have accommodation in Portugal and valid health insurance.

With regards to fees, you must be able to show that you are receiving student loan, or that you are on a scholarship. For your other funds you should show that you either have enough money to live off, or failing that you should get a job. However, on a student visa you cannot work more than 20 hours per week.

If you have always wanted to study abroad then maybe the student visa is right for you!


D7 Visa

This Visa is the closest equal to the Golden Visa however, is more affordable. On this visa you should be able to show that you have either passive income or trading income; and you only have to earn the minimum wage in Portugal which could mean a part-time job.

This Visa also requires you to be in Portugal for a minimum of 6 months so leaves you a little less freedom than the golden visa however, there is the added bonus of not having to invest in the sum of €500,000, you simply have to show that you will not be requiring a loan or grant from Portugal.


Golden Visa

Getting a Golden Visa is the easiest yet most expensive way of becoming a Portuguese resident. While it is pretty expensive it does come with luxuries such as only having to be in the country for a week per year, unlike other visa’s that require you stay there for a minimum of 6 months.

With the golden visa there are some things to note. For this form of visa you are essentially buying residency and adding value to the country. To achieve this you must select an investment type. There are three forms of investment that could buy you residency into Portugal and they are :

  • Real Estate: This method requires that you purchase a property in Portugal with a value of at least €500,000
  • Creating Employment: For this form of investment you must present a business plan which shows you will be able to offer ten jobs to Portuguese residents
  • Capital Transfer: This form is the simplest with the requirement being that you simply pay €500,000 to a fund in the arts or science department

If this sounds more like how you want to live then maybe the golden visa is right for you.


Family Reunification Visa

While the family reunification visa is not a freestanding visa, it can be a great option for couples or families moving to Portugal. This means that if you are moving alone, you would not be able to move with this visa. However, if you are related to someone who already has a visa in Portugal then this kind of Visa will allow you to move with them.


Finding a Law Specialist

If you need legal advice or assistance, be sure to contact the experts at RHJ Law. We’re able to guide you through what you need to know before moving to Portugal.

Our legal team at RHJ Law assists non-EEA nationals to obtain residency in Portugal. Our English speaking team of lawyers, accountants and more specialise in helping entrepreneurs and families to set up, manage and grow their life in Europe.

Working with our trusted partners; we can advise you on where to settle and how to go about purchasing property in Portugal.

We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Leave a Reply